Thursday, October 8, 2009

John Wayne Graduating


I mentioned to Will that his dad and I would be going to the graduation meeting with our homeschool association tonight.

He asked me who was graduating.

Um. Huh?

I told him HE was graduating. Being that he was a senior in high school and all.

He told me that since he was already taking all college classes, he really didn’t want to do the whole ‘graduation thing’ with our homeschool association.

I was flabbergasted.

NOT do the graduation thing?

I do not know what to think about this. I mean, I guess he’s right. He’s not taking any classes at the co op this year. He is taking all his classes at the community college, and next year he’s just going to continue taking classes at the community college, albeit a different one so he can become a paramedic.

So, I don’t know what to do. No cap and gown. No senior pictures. No commencement address. No graduation photo.

Just hand me the diploma and let’s move on, he says. I don’t really need all the hoopla, he says.

Why does this make me sad? Maybe after homeschooling this kid, my first kid, all the way to graduation, I need all the hoopla.

And don’t you think that one day he’s going to look back at the graduation rite of passage and wish he’d done it? What should I do? I mean, I think if I told him we’re doing it, he would do it, but it would be for me and not because he wants to.

So, pomp and circumstance, or let him walk John Wayne style off into the sunset?


7 comments:

Robin Dicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin Dicks said...

I'd tell him how you're feeling and tell him you'd like him to do this for you and see how he feels then. If he still is reluctant then I would just hand him the diploma and walk.

Jo said...

Is it that he doesn't want any party at all or just that he doesn't want to participate in the homeschool association graduation? In my son's mind, that would have been a huge difference.

Karen said...

My son said the same exact thing. I guess it depends on the person. I don't think my son will look back and regret it. We're not going to make him. I figure at this point, our raising is done and he's an adult to make whatever decisions he thinks are best.

Karen in TN

Robin said...

I went to public high school and I felt like the graduation ceremonies was a waste of time, so I can see his point . . . is there some other way he would let you celebrate his achievement?

Either way, congratulations to both of you!

Halfmoon Girl said...

I hear your feelings on this one...and what will his kids laugh at one day if he has no grad night photos???? My kids get a kick out of mine. Maybe look for a happy medium- a celebration with family or something?

Tonya said...

Late reading this, and I know he's already made his decision. I don't remember much of anything from my graduation - don't even remember if my parents attended!!! (There seriously is a chance they didn't.) This all due to the size of the school (you know). I think a small graduation sounds great! Family oriented. Definitely memorable! :-)