Thursday, October 1, 2009

Introversion

*Introverts tend to be more reserved and less assertive in social situations. They often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, drawing, playing musical instruments or using computers. The archetypal artist, writer, sculptor, composer, and inventor are all highly introverted. An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though they tend to enjoy interactions with close friends. They prefer to concentrate on a single activity at a time and like to observe situations before they participate. Introverts are easily overwhelmed by too much stimulation from social gatherings and engagement. The introvert tends to think thoroughly before verbalising their thoughts.

Introversion is generally not the same as shyness. Introverts choose solitary over social activities by preference, whereas shy people avoid social encounters out of fear.



I am an introvert by nature. This surprises people in my real life because I am not shy and people tend to equate shyness with introversion. I can be ‘on’ on social situations. I can even be chatty. Especially in social situations I am comfortable in like my Bible Study group. These are mostly ladies I’ve known forever. Most of us have been in this bible study for going on 8 years now so I’m totally comfortable there and tend to be probably chattier than some would like!

The thing is, it drains me. It does not energize me. Being alone energizes me. To sit in the quiet and just think or write or read or just BE. I know it sounds nuts but sometimes I just need to be in the quiet. My husband does not understand this. He absolutely does not get why I would like to just be home ALONE sometimes. I have to be careful to not hurt his feelings. It’s not that I don’t want to be with him it’s just that sometimes I need NO outward stimuli! NO TV, NO talking, NO sound. NO input. To him this makes no sense.

I’ve tried, over the last many years to explain it to him, that I feel fed, filled up, energized, recharged when I can just sit and be quiet and alone with my thoughts, but he just gives me that look like I’m nuts.

For instance, today, right now, I’m home alone. It’s dark and rainy outside and I have not raised the blinds. The TV is off and It is quite dark and quiet in the living room. I LOVE IT. It’s so rare. The kids are only at co op once a week and I teach so I’m with them most of the day, but for a few hours, a few precious hours, I’m home alone. Often Sir D will stop by and see me. He’s on his way right now. I have to get up and open the blinds or he’ll think I’m loony for sitting in the dark.

*sigh*

It was so nice to have these few minutes of alone time. I’m not nuts, right? There are others out there like me, right? Other introverts who just can’t wait for that next minute to be alone and quiet?




* So says Wikipedia

5 comments:

Hannah said...

I, too, am an introvert. I love escaping for a few hours to read or type, just for fun. Most of my friends are the same. It's funny how people that I'm comfortable around don't think I'm that introvert-ed, since I can talk for an hour straight with my closest friends, LOL. I am chatty, just with the people I choose to be talkative with. It's a good thing.

JasonBecca said...

You are SO not nuts. I am the same way. I get really crazy w/o quiet time to myself. I also am chatty in a group, but only if I know them... Love that description b/c I felt v well described! I guess it's good we're married to extroverts b/c otherwise our lives might be really really boring. I certainly wouldn't have found myself in Spain... But what I would have missed out on!

Shannon L. Fowler said...

No, you are not nuts!! Yes, there are others out there just like you!! I'm right there with you ... alone! LOL Maybe that's why I like reading and knitting so much! :)

Tricia said...

ahhh, thank you ladies! It's good to know I'm not alone in my desire to be alone! :)

All 3 of the men are gone, and one girl is sleeping still and the other is at a sleepover so God has granted me a few more unexpected minutes of peace and quiet today! YIPPEE!

Tonya said...

I am an extrovert. But having 5 kids around me nonstop, making noise and talking makes me LOVE LOVE LOVE silence. Nothing making any noise and nothing moving. Peace.