Wednesday, May 13, 2009

In no particular order...

Last night I watched The Old Curiosity Shop that I had saved on the DVR. YUCK! Masterpiece Theater has been playing Dickens for a while now and I’ve been pleasantly surprised. I’ve always had it in my mind that Dickens was all dark and sad. And it is, but there’s good and happy in there too; enough to make it worth my while.

Let’s take Bleak House for example. Yes it’s a little bleak, but it also has some redeeming qualities. Little Dorrit? Loved that one. A little sad here and there but the ending more than makes up for it. I missed David Copperfield, but if I remember correctly it is not wholly bleak either, in fact I think it also ends well…but The Old Curiosity Shop? Reminded me why I don’t like Dickens! UGH! Where’s Jane Austin when I need her? I am such a big fan of happily ever after. If I want to be depressed I’ll watch the news! The Old Curiosity Shop was sad and depressing and ended terribly. YUCK!

On a different and completely unrelated note, the fan in our room died last night at approximately 4 am. I know this because it was suddenly very quiet and that woke me up. How weird is that? We’ve always slept with a box fan on full blast in our room (classy, right?) not for the air movement but so it will drown out all the goings on downstairs. Those kids seem to get up and go the bathroom all night long! And do they ever shut a door quietly NO! So the box fan idea was born. Now I can’t sleep when it’s quiet. I am so weird.

And on yet another unrelated note. The Teenager is doing all the extra credit for Spanish…some 40 sections of it, in 24 hours. He is doing this because he failed the final, bringing the overall grade down to failing. His professor emailed him and told him he had until today at noon to get in all the extra credit he could to bring it up to passing. He has 3 more lessons. He was supposed to be at work 30 minutes ago and he had to tell them he’d be late so he could finish. When is that boy going to learn to not put everything off to the last minute??? I wonder also at the prof’s motivation. He is either very magnanimous and really wants Will to pass this class, or he really does not want Will in his class for a third semester. I wonder which it is, but either way I think I’ll be just as relived as Will when he is finally done with Spanish.


No comments: