Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Few, The Proud, The News Media

I woke up today to the sound of choppers whoop, whoop, whooping over my house. At first I thought we were being invaded. I got out of bed and made my way over to the window, and looked outside.

I saw several news helicopters hovering in the distance, and then I remembered. We live on a hilltop, and when I look out my window I can see the neighboring hilltop, but in the valley between the hills is a major interstate. Not just one actually, but two. There is another one, albeit smaller, that branches off and heads away from my house and up the other hill.

Usually this is not a problem. It is far enough away that we can’t see or hear it. Occasionally I can hear the hum of the traffic when it’s winter and the leaves are off the trees. A day like today however, I am reminded of how close I live to the highway.

You see, every time we have an ice storm down here in TX, this happens. Those necessary, but obnoxious semi’s try to exit the main highway onto the lesser highway and get stuck going over the overpass that is uphill. Every.Time.

Then the choppers start. I don’t think the news media knows there is a recession because each one of them has their own chopper and in this major city that I live? Many, many news outlets.



I really need to keep this foremost in my mind when I go to sleep when the weather men have predicted and ice storm. That way when I wake up I won’t think the news outlets have banded together and are trying to take my hill.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny. I'm used to the helicopters now. In Korea, we lived in Blackhawk Village, so nicknamed because of being in the flight path of the landing Blackhawk Helicopters. Every. Single. Day. Except on National Test Day when the US Army takes a vow of silence to allow the Korean students to take their tests in peace.

Now I've got every kind of helicopter imaginable, even the President's, flying by my house.

Gets old.