Thursday, October 23, 2008

That's What She Said

Today I'd like to send you over to Shannon's site. She has a guest poster today who wrote about her son's peanut allergy.

As many of you know my Ann has an anaphylactic (fatal) allergy to ALL dairy. So many don't understand what that means. It means if she gets some pizza grease on her hand by sitting at a table that has not been cleaned, she could die. DIE. It's crazy and terrifying.

I must admit to being one of those parents who thought is was so unbelievable that some school districts were outlawing peanut butter just because a couple of kids couldn't have it. How rash and ridiculous! Then I had Ann and learned all about fatal food allergies. Kids with severe peanut allergies can go into anaphylactic shock just by SMELLING peanuts!

Now I get it.

I'm not suggesting that the world go dairy or peanut free. I know that is unrealistic, but if there were just a few places our kids would be safe, sunday school, or grandma's house, our lives would be a little simpler.

So go read Shannon's post. Jane Ann (her guest poster) said it better than me.


Michelle said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I am looking forward to looking into it more. My oldest has a peanut allergy.

Halfmoon Girl said...

That was great. We have a severe allergy in our home too- it can be scary as well as frustrating to educate the general public.

Jane Anne said...

Tricia - I followed your link here from Rocks in my Dryer. I am really enjoying reading all of the comments on the post. Thank you for your encouraging comment and for posting a link.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I get it. Don't you wish we knew what's causing the seeming onslaught of severe allergies in kids?