Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Little Viking

Today I am taking 6 little girls and 1 mother in law to the Kit movie. Then we’re going to go out for ice cream. Then we’re going to the pool.

We are doing this all because my first daughter is turning 11 tomorrow. She is inching ever closer to the teen years and I am really not happy about that.

This time of year is always a bit tough for me. We have birthdays on 7-5. 7-16. 7-31, and 8-10. And one of those birthdays is mine. Funny how when you’re a kid you wish your birthday would hurry up and when you’re older you wish your birthday away.

I remember being pregnant with Eve. I had two rambunctious boys and they were the only grandchildren on my husband’s side of the family. He is one of 4 boys. When I found out Eve was a girl, we were thrilled and a little nervous at the same time. I mean what on earth would our girl look like? Sir D’s side of the family certainly had the dominant genes as both my boys looked exactly like their dad. I was a bit frightened. I mean, Sir D comes from good old Viking stock and have you seen pictures of Viking ladies? Yikes!



My sister in law was pregnant at about the same time I was. She did not find out what they were having so while we were wringing our hands at our Viking girl, they were blissfully unaware. When their daughter was born, Sir D and I raced down to the hospital to see the first girl in the family.

And dogonnit if that girl did not look just like HER MOTHER! No help there, we were destined to wait until our girl was born to see if she was going to come out with the family forehead, enormous shoulders and the infamous scowl. (all handsome on a boy, not so attractive on a girl).

Well, as you can see from her photo, she is beautiful! It is amazing how God can create a girl to look just like her dad and still be feminine and beautiful.



And now she’s 11.

Tomorrow, on her actual birthday, I’ll show you photo’s of her as a baby and toddler. She was the most adorable baby and toddler ever!

But for now, I must gear up for seven silly girls for the day.

2 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

My son Bo is going to be 5 tomorrow, so our children share a birthday... Happy birthday to Eve.

Have fun on your girls day!

Halfmoon Girl said...

That viking pic cracked me up! Your daughter is lovely.