Saturday, April 5, 2008

Pet Peeve

Today here on the hilltop we’re going to discuss a pet peeve of mine. We’re not going to talk about the fact that the lady from the Children’s Sunday School committee didn’t show up for our meeting. We’re not going to talk about how frustrated I am that I can’t seem to get anyone’s attention, and that Ann’s safety is of little concern to the powers that be at my church. We’re not going to talk about that fact that I have admitted temporary defeat and Ann and I are just going to stay home for a few weeks until I stop simmering and can come up with a solution that does not involve me constantly shadowing her everywhere for the rest of my natural born days because my church thinks Jesus goes down better with snacks, or her throat closing up resulting in her dying in Sunday School.

Nope, not gonna talk about any of those things.

What we are going to talk about is the fact that my debit card won’t let me put more than $75 worth of gas in the Mother Ship at a time. At $3.37 a gallon, $75 does not fill up the Mother Ship.

I want to stop for gas as few times as possible, but my debit card won’t let me fill up. And yes, that is the card that takes my money directly out of my bank account, that is mine because I (Sir D, actually) have earned it and it is not a credit or a loan from anyone, but my very own money in my very own account.

But somehow the Visa Company still gets to decide I can only have $75 at a time at the gas station. Weird, because they allow me to spend 4 times that when I’m in the grocery store, but outside at the gas station attached to the grocery store I can only spend $75 of what I may have mentioned is my money.

Thank you for listening to my peeve about Visa Debt Card policies…and stuff. Please feel free to leave me a comment telling me what your peeve is, it is quite cathartic to get it out.

4 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

You can tell me your pet peeves anytime. I so hear you on the Sunday school/allergy issue! It would be frustrating to not be able to fill up- I can't stand having to make frequent trips to the gas station, so I like to fill all the way up. Have you tried phoning anyone to see if it can be changed? I have never heard of this. Maybe you should just pull ahead to the next pump and fill up the rest of the tank! Now I sound like a male- trying to fix your problems instead of just letting you air them out!

Anonymous said...

"Jesus goes down better with snacks." Now that's funny stuff. Not laughing at the situation (which stinks, to say the least) but at how you write about it. :-)

Tonya said...

Ah, Trish, I'm sorry about the lady from church and about the gas/debit card thing. Of course, I'd take any excuse possible to skip church for a few weeks. :-) Eric would just tell me to bring the child to church with me - have her sit with me, etc for everything. No chance I'd get out of church for it. So, my opinion is, enjoy your Sunday morning quiet! :-)

Amanda said...

The church situation stinks... I'm sorry!

About the gas, what about buying a large giftcard inside the grocery store -- more than $75.00 -- and using it to buy the gas? I know at Wal-Mart and Kiroger (I think), paying with their gift card will reduce your cost by 3 cents per gallon. Also, at Kroger, dollars spent in store collect and entitle you to an additional 10 cent discount per gallon, and I believe gift card purchases apply to that collection.