Sunday, November 25, 2007

Theologically speaking...



You must be very intelligent to attend my Sunday School class. I am not very intelligent. These are some of the words I heard today that stretched my little brain. It hurt. Next week I’m bringing my laptop so I can look up the words that the teacher is using. And I am going to drink A LOT more coffee.

Seriously people, those that attend and teach (excluding myself of course) my class are the Christian version of the rocket scientist…theologians. I am surrounded by theologians.

Eschatology – is a part of theology and philosophy concerned with the final events in the history of the world, or the ultimate destiny of humanity, commonly referred to as the end of the world.

Justification – In Christian theology, justification is God's act of declaring or making a sinner righteous before God.

Sanctification - refers to the act or process of making holy or setting apart.

Glorification - is the third stage of Christian development. The first being justification, then sanctification, and finally glorification. (Rom. 8:28-30)
Glorification is the completion, the consummation, the perfection, the full realization of salvation.

Zionism – is an international political movement that supports a homeland for the Jewish People in the Land of Israel.

Ethnomusicology – formerly comparative musicology, is cultural musicology or the study of music in its cultural context. Formed from the Greek words ethnos (nation) and mousike (music), it can be considered the anthropology or ethnography of music.

Millennialism – (or chiliasm in Greek), from millennium (which is Latin) means "thousand years", is primarily a belief expressed in some Christian denominations, and literature, that there will be a Golden Age or Paradise on Earth where "Christ will reign" prior to the final judgment and future eternal state, primarily derived from the book of Revelation 20:1-6.

Theological anthropology - refers to the study of the human ("anthropology") as it relates to God. It differs from the social science of anthropology, which primarily deals with the comparative study of the physical and social characteristics of humanity across times and places.


Eyes glazed over yet?

2 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

Well, I sure didn't know what some of those terms meant. I like it when people preach and teach in plain English. The gospel should be for everyone! Your wintery blog looks fabulous!

Renae said...

It takes all kinds, right? :) I like to have my brain stretched every once in awhile.

Peace to you,
Renae
http://reflective.homeschooljournal.net