Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Dr. Martin and Steve Irwin

I wasn’t going to do it, I promised myself this morning that I would not blog about going to the dentist, because you, my readers, did not have to go this morning to the torture chamber that is the dentist chair and therefore shouldn’t have to hear or think about it. But I just can’t help it, I must whine. And there is no better place to whine than on the World Wide Web for all to hear.

Truly it was an awful experience. First she had to measure the distance from something on my teeth to my gum, or something, because apparently I am showing signs of receding gums. I’m at a 3 and a few 4’s. I don’t know what that means, but I gather it’s bad but not horrible. THIS PROCESS HURT! Basically she poked my gums several times in the front and back of EVERY TOOTH. Then she started cleaning. OUCH!! I think I like my plaque and tartar thankyouverymuch! What if I don’t want you to scrape it all off at great physical cost to me? Not only does it hurt EVERYTIME she touches that horrid metal scraper thing to my gums, but even when it is only touching my teeth, it may not hurt, but the sound, oh, the sound. Fingernails on a chalk board have nothing on the metal pick scraping enamel sound. OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! It is the most hideous sound on earth.

The Dentist also reminded me that a temporary crown was designed to be just that, temporary; and almost 3 years is stretching the term wildly. So I must get that permanent crown, and fix a few of the fillings I had put on in the 70’s that are not cutting the mustard anymore. So after paying $55 to be tortured, I was told I will have to pay another $450 for further and more intense torture. Oh, Joy!

Needless to say we’ve done next to no school so far today and I just want to take some tylonal and go to bed.

The kids did tell our magic DVR machine to record all the 5 million hours of Crocodile Hunter that played over the holiday weekend. They’ve been watching it for most of the afternoon. Can I count that as science? I just heard Steve Irwin say that some cobras are nocturnal and diurnal. Surely that is science, right?

I’m glad you agree, I’m leaving the kids to their science and I’m going to bed!

2 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

Steve Irwin is like an extreme field trip via TV! I'd say it is science. Hope you are feeling better and are recovering emotionally and physically from your appt this morning.

Chris said...

I am no longer anticipating with relish my dentist appointment at the end of the month! If a "temporary" crown isn't good for 3 years, is "you need to get two crowns" still current opinion after 11 months with no follow-up appointments? Aw, shucks! I guess I just forgot.

Don't worry, this too shall pass.