Friday, August 3, 2007

What in the World are We Going to do This Year? Part 3

Just in case some of you were starting to feel inferior, or you beginning to think, ‘wow this homeschooling family has it all together, and their kids are brilliant’ this post is for you.

G is going into 7th grade in the fall and I am a little freaked out about that. The years I have to squeeze all the information into him that he needs to know are dwindling, but the information is not.

G is dyslexic and has been through the Scottish Rite Remediation program that A is currently going to. And while it helped him immensely, he is still not the best reader, he does not like to read, and spelling…well, let’s just not go there. His handwriting is also awful, and he is a year behind in math. So academically thing are not going so well for G. However, if you need to build a deck, rewire a lamp, unhook a trailer, or do just about anything mechanical, he’s your guy. He is also great with people, and is a great helper. He is also a good teacher as he is patient and will spend the time to show you how to do it. (this is the only reason I know how to work the DVR) And he has a great attitude, he has a lot he could complain about, but he is not a complainer.

I don’t know what God has planned for G. I wish I did so I could better prepare him. No matter what he does he’s going to have to be able to read and write better than he does now.

So we plug along and do our best, but I worry that our best may not be good enough. Just the thought of that boy taking algebra gives me the cold shivers.

So enough qualifications, here is what my 7th grade boy is doing this year.

Language Arts – I will be using the new and improved Sonlight LA 3 with E & G. He will also be taking a writing class at Co op. He will continue to do his journal writing daily, using the Love to Learn journal I mentioned in A’s post. I am quite scared of this writing class, it is going to be A LOT of work for both of us, but it needs to be done.

Spelling – I have tried every spelling program on the market with little luck with G. His dyslexia remediation teacher basically said, keep working on it but don’t make a big issue of it, and give him a spell checker.

Math – Bob Jones 6th Grade and Calculadder

History – Sonlight Core 3 along with A & E. He will read the readers, he will not like it but they are only 3rd grade readers and I’m going to make him READ them. I will probably make him listen to some books on tape that B will be reading with his American history study, just so he can get some higher level thinking.

Geography – Simply stated. I posted a while ago about this. I am very excited about this study. I think it will be a lot of fun. You can go check out that post if you like. (links are in A’s post)

Electives –

Typing – He has been doing a typing program for a couple of years now. He has got to get better at his typing if he ever hopes to use a spell checker correctly!

Spanish – We have access to the full program of Rosetta Stone through the library. I don’t make him do it too much as we’re still working on the English language.

Classes at the Homeschooling Co op –

PE – G lives for the PE class. He loves it.

Writing - This is the first year he will be taking the writing class. Yikes, this will be so much work for me.

Science – G will be helping out in the younger kids science taught by my SIL. She is going to give me some advanced notice of what she will be teaching so I can have G do a little research on the topics before class

PE Helper – G will also be helping out the PE teacher with the K – 3rd boys class. He is really good at helping. He really shines there.

So there you have it. Not much in the way of academics, but we’re plugging along. If you start to think I’m a bad homeschooler go look at E’s schedule! She’s my academic one. If I didn’t have her, I might have given up on this homeschool thing years ago! A girl needs a little bit of success now and then!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I like seeing what everyone else is doing. I always get good ideas.

Have you used Sequential Spelling? It was apparently developed for dyslexics. We've just begun using it and so far it's working well for us. My kids aren't dyslexic though, just terrible spellers.

Camp Program Director said...

I don't know where you stand on the military, but if he's good with technical gadgets and good with people (especially as a leader), if he's interested he might think about a military career. People that think like that do well in leadership positions in highly technical career fields, and if he's not interested in college, he can still go a long way in the enlisted ranks (or become a Warrant Officer in some branches.)

It's a hard thing for moms and dads to consider for or suggest to their kids, especially at this time (I have no problem with it personally, even as a mom, but I only have babies, and I grew up around the military and spent most of my adult life actually in it, so I'm biased. I'm at the other end, wondering how my family would cope if "I" ever had to deploy or if something ever happened to "me".)

My brother spent 8 years in the Navy Reserve--he is dyslexic, too, and did well. Eventually he got a degree and got out; he wants to be an elementary teacher now (he's not quite sold on me homeschooling, but we're about to move close to him and I'll be watching his son. I don't think it will take long, especially if he has a difficult experience as a teacher. Not that I hope he will, but you know what I mean).

Things go more slowly for him (took him 10 years to get a degree), but he's a great leader, too, and excels at the things he feels comfortable with. He was interested in police work, fire fighting and would have made a good coach as well. Those may be things your son would also excel at.

Good luck--my mom always says she wishes she could have taught us with all the moving around we did growing up. You are doing the right thing--my brother STILL struggles with all the negative feedback he got from teachers and other students due to their misunderstanding of the way his brain works. You are giving your kids a great foundation of confidence, love for learning, and family relationships that will get them over these hurdles.

Take care, Stephanie