Friday, May 4, 2007

R.I.P


No, not THAT kind of R.I.P.
Reading. In. Public.
Do you do it? Why or why not?


I have nothing fun or inspiring to say today. We had open house at our homeschool Co op last night, after a day of teaching at the co op. So I am TIRED. After full days
like that I tend to be a bit on the achy side. Thank you ever-so-much, Fibromyalgia.

So instead of my usual oh-so-inspiring comments, I bring you this Meme. I love books so this seemed like a good one. If you would like to participate go to Booking Through Thursdays. Yes I know today is Friday, but I was busy yesterday, and better late than never, right?

So here goes, YES! I absolutely Read in Public! I read in line at Wal-Mart. I read at co op between classes, I read in line at the bank; in fact I read in any line. I have even been known to read at a long red light! I try not to read at family gatherings because, well that would be rude. I try to be sensitive and not read when I should be paying attention to someone or something. I know it would be rude to read, no matter how good the book, at my Mother In Law’s birthday party, or during church, even if the guest preacher is a bit boring. Sometimes I am tempted to read when I should not. I try to be good. I just love books so very much!

Think about it, what other thing can take you, in your mind, to another reality, time or place? Or let you meet people who never existed or who are long dead? If you do those things without the benefit of a book, I think they call it a mental illness!

I think I got started having a book with me at all times when my kids were babies. I often put them down for naps at others’ houses and would sit in the room with them till they went to sleep. Sometimes I’d look up from a particularly good book and realize that my baby or toddler was fast asleep, and probably had been for some time.

Books even go before fashion for me. One of the main things I look for in a good purse is, is it big enough for my book? I will never buy a purse that a book won’t fit into. I am doomed to a life with a huge purse, but that is okay, because I love books so much, I’m willing to make the sacrifice.

No comments: